Assistante : Valérie DAOUD
Associé / Paris et Munich
Conseil en Propriété Industrielle
Mandataire en Brevets Européens
Mandataire en Marques et Modèles Européens
- - Post-graduate degree in Industrial Property Law (Montpellier) - 1978
- - Master of Law (Paris) - 1976
- - Post-graduate degree in Industrial Property Law at CEIPI (Strasbourg) - 1973
- - Master of Physical Chemistry (Strasbourg) - 1969
After an internship in the patent department of the company KODAK, Gérard joined CASALONGA & ASSOCIÉS in 1973. He has been a partner since 1988.
He has a wide experience of patent prosecution in chemistry, pharmaceuticals and biotechnology. Gérard is also strongly involved in European patent oppositions. His experience in oral procedures before Opposition Division and Boards of Appeal is widely recognised. He has handled several cases before the Enlarged Board of Appeal of the EPO.
He has extensive experience in the field of French and foreign litigation. He has made numerous infringement seizures, sometimes in difficult situations to prove infringement. He assists patent lawyers in often complex procedures in France and globally with multinational teams in action for infringement of patents or trademarks. He coordinates pan-European litigation in the field of patents.
Gérard performed many audits, due diligence, portfolio evaluations of Industrial Property rights, freedom to operate within the framework of product launches, acquisitions, mergers, fund raising or IPO start up. He regularly assists clients for contract negotiations, licenses, assignments or know-how.
Adjunct teaching / Profesionnal organisations
Gérard has a deep knowledge of the European Patent Convention and is one of the main teacher in the preparation of the European Qualification Examination within the frame of the epi/CEIPI special courses in Strasbourg since 1990. From 2002 to 2008, he was also involved in the training of examiners of the European Patent Office.
He is involved in the training of African Judges at WIPO (World Intellectual Property Organization), Abidjan and Yaounde and in the training of future patent attorneys of the countries of Eastern Europe : Warsaw, Budapest, Prague, Bucharest.
He frequently lectures in various places in Europe, Japan, China, Korea, Canada and USA on subject matters relating to the European Patent System, the Opposition procedure before the EPO, specific questions on pharmaceutical patents and Court litigation procedures in France and in Europe.
Gérard is registered as Arbitrator and Mediator before the WIPO.
He is member of numerous professional organizations such as the French Patent and Trademark association (CNCPI “Compagnie Nationale des Conseils en Propriété Industrielle”), the “Association des Conseils en Propriété Industrielle” (ACPI), the International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI) for which he has been secretary of the French group, the European Patent Institute (epi), the International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys (FICPI), the UNION, the Licensing Executive Society (LES) and the American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA).
- - Février 2017 : "Patentability in France" - Lexology
- - Février 2017 : "Patent Enforcement through the Courts in France" - Lexology
- - 2012-2014 : “Patents in 37 Jurisdictions”, Getting the Deal Through
- - 2011 : "Interpretation and determination of the scope of patents by the French Courts", Patent Practice in Japan and Europe : Liber Amicorum for Guntram Rahn édité par : Bernd Hansen, Dirk Schüssler-Langeheine
- - 2002 : "Parallel Imports in the EU : Limits on Repackaging", Journal of the Japanese group AIPPI
- - 2002 : "Parallel Imports in the EU : Limits on Repackaging", Bright Ideas – NYSBA
- - 2000 : "Recent French Case Law in the Pharmaceutical Field", Patents & Licensing (Tokyo)
- - 2017 : “Inconsistencies in SPC Case Law” – Londres - 13th Legal Affairs organized by Medicines for Europe
- - 2005 : “Utilization and protection of IP Rights in a Borderless Era” – "Recent Trends and Topics in Patent Litigation in France and Patent Litigation Practice in France", Osaka – SYMPOSIUM
- - 2002 : The 17th Annual Intellectual Property Law Conference of the American Bar Association - "Enforcement of IP Rights in Europe – Enforcement Procedures and issues in France"
French, English, German